GeraldinesBorn in Dublin in 1903 'camoguidheacht' reached County Antrim soon after, but it was not until 1908 that the first Antrim club was formed in Belfast. Named Banba the new club played its first competitive match at the Dundalk Feis on June 7th 1908 and was defeated by the ladies of Dundalks Eimear's club.
The young club soon floundered in the political climate of the time and it wasn't until 1910-11 that camogie again found its feet with the emergence of the Belfast based Crowley's, Mitchel's and Ardoyne. All played a succession of 'friendlies' until the outbreak of World War One in 1914 when most of the clubs disbanded.
Deirdre re-emerged in 1962 in devastating fashion and for seven years on the trot, took Antrim's top accolade reigning supreme until 1968.
During this period the Ulster Club Championship came into play. Deirdre etched their name on the cup in it's inaugural year in 1964...a title they won for five unbroken seasons.
In 1969 Ahoghill put the defending champions out in the first round, going on to win their second Antrim club title bridging a gap of twenty-one years.
1969 was also the beginning of one of the darkest periods in Ulsters political turmoil as ' The Troubles' tore at the heart of a community and clubs folded never to return.
An example of the time was the Sean Treacy's club. Three players were interned, one ( Dorothy Maguire) was shot dead by British Troops and the families of countless others were forced to flee across the Border.
Not surprisingly then, as battles raged in Belfast, the next thirteen years were dominated by the country based clubs.
Portglenone emerged a dominant force winning nine titles with Creggan winning four in 1970,1973, 1976 and 1980.
The Bannsiders were back in 1988 after which the legendary Mairead McAtamney bowed out of competitive camogie.
The beginning of an historic club hat-trick awaited Loughgiel in 1989 and Portglenone claimed the last of their eleven titles in 1992.